As the weather drops and the stress of life increases you’re probably looking for some quick comfort food, I know I am. I am let’s be real I’m always looking for quick plant based recipes. 🤣 This Vegan Biryani will satisfy all your cravings and accommodate our hectic schedules.
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves- chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger- chopped
- 2 cups- chopped veggies (bell pepper, zucchini, & carrots)
- 1 large onion- sliced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (or one cinnamon stick)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas- drained & rinsed
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
- 2 cups basmati rice, rinsed
- Garnish: 1/4 cup cashews and chopped parsley or cilantro
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and sauté, stirring often, until golden- about 5 minutes.
- Turn heat to medium, add your choice of veggies and garlic and ginger- cook 4-5 minutes.
- Remove one cup of the mixture and set aside.
- Add spices and bay leaf, and stir one minute, toasting the spices.
- Add basmati rice, and saute one-minute stirring. Add stock and salt.
- Top with chickpeas, raisins and the cup of veggies you set aside.
- Bring to a simmer over high heat, then lower heat to low. Cover & simmer on low 20-30 minutes or until the rice has soaked up the liquid. See notes.
- Uncover the Biryani & fluff up with a fork.
- Top with the toasted cashew and cilantro.