How difficult is it to find healthy dog treats? I mean sure you can buy the pure dried chicken but what about a little variety for you fur baby? I searched high and low only to discover I needed homemade dog treats.
A little back story- our newest addition, Kamea, is highly allergic to pretty much everything. We know this because she had a horrible itching problem (she was ripping her hair out) so we had her tested by having her blood drawn. Baby girl can’t have wheat, oats, eggs, yeast, barley, and a few other animal proteins which are not a big deal for our vegan house. The issue is finding treats without wheat AND oats, traditional dog treats usually have one or the other. I even looked up other homemade recipes to find they were using the same ol’ ingredients, so I made my own.
- 3 cups protein powder- I use Isagenix Whole Blend dairy free Banana Bread
- 1 ripe banana- mashed
- 2 chia seed eggs (1 tbsp chia seed to 3 tbsp water = 1 egg, let sit to thicken ~5 minutes)
- 1 cup almond milk (more depending on desired thickness)
- Pre heat oven to 375 F
- Mix all ingredients together in a large mixing bowl
- Consistency should be fairly thick, think cookie or muffin batter
- Place (1/2-1 tbsp) in mini muffin tins or use fun shapes
- Bake for 16-18 minutes
Treats should be stored in the refrigerator and will last up to 2 weeks
Note: Baked for 16-18 minutes leaves these treats with a softer texture which I prefer for my senior pup, Anela; and it makes it easy to break up for training. If you want harder treats, bake longer but don’t burn them! 😀