Eight (8) things you should know about collagen.
1- Collagen is the most abundant protein in the body.
- Collagen is the glue which holds everything together.
- Collagen makes up skin, bone, teeth, hair, nails, eyes, connective tissues, organs, and cartilage.
2- Collagen makes up:
- 30% of the body’s protein.
- 70% of the protein in skin.
- 80% of the protein in bone.
- In addition, collagen makes up the lining of your arteries, organs, and intestines.
3- As we age out bodies produce less collagen.
After the age of 20 the body start to produce ~1% less collagen each year.
4- Signs you need more collagen:
- sagging skin
- brown spots
- rough textured skin
- brittle hair and/or nails
- intestinal issues
- bone fractures
- joint pain
- leaky gut
5- Benefits of collagen.
- Reduces the signs of aging.
- Improves elasticity/hydration.
- Increase fat loss and muscle gain.
- Reduces going pain and stiffness
- Supports cartilage health.
- Improves bone mineral dimity and growth.
- Reduces tendon and/or ligament injuries.
6- Types of collagen.
- There are 29 different types of collagen.
- Types I, II, and III make up 90% of all collagen.
- Type I supports hair, skin, nails, bone, tendons, and ligaments.
- Type II supports cartilage health.
- Type III supports arteries and intestines.
7- Collagen intake.
- Humans get collagen from collagenous meats- so my fellow vegans and vegetarians, you need supplementation more than most.
- Supplement with 10-40 grams of hydrolyzed collagen (aka collagen peptides) per day.
- Optimal intake of vitamins and minerals supports collagen synthesis (vitamin c, copper, manganese, iron, and zinc).
8- Not all collagen supplements are created equal.
- When collagen peptides are exposed to air the oxidation process begins, which degrades the quality of the collagen over time.
- Single servings are better than a large container to keep the peptides from exposure.
- Most powder supplements contain the minimum amount of collagen per serving (2.5 grams), Isagenix liquid (marine) supplement contains 5 grams per serving.
I hope this information helps you make a more informed decision.J