Ensuring personal safety is crucial for, especially now. Here are 9 ways to increase personal safety:
- Be aware of your surroundings: The key to being safe is to be aware of your surroundings. Always pay attention to what is happening around you and stay alert to any potential threats.
- Stay in well-lit areas: When walking around at night, it is important to stay in well-lit areas.
- Keep your phone charged: A charged phone is a valuable tool in case of an emergency. Make sure to keep your phone charged and within reach at all times.
- Stay off your phone: Changing a song or responding to a text message can distract your from your surroundings. It is best to stay off your phone, unless you are on an actual call.
- Lock your doors immediately: As soon as you arrive home and if you are sitting in your car (on your phone) make sure your doors are locked. Newer cars have a feature to just unlock the driver’s door first- I highly suggest utilizing this feature.
- Carry pepper spray (or a personal alarm if flying): While it is not a lethal defense, it can allow time for you to escape- make sure it is easily accessible.
- Share your location: Sharing your location at all times with someone you trust (e.g., spouse, sibling, best friend, etc.) is an invaluable way to send help, if needed, to an accurate location.
- Back into parking spaces: When possible back into parking space to allow for a quicker get away and for yourself others to see inside your car as you approach or in the event of an attack.
- Trust your instincts: If something feels off, it probably is. Trust your instincts and leave any situation that makes you feel uncomfortable. If you cannot leave draw as much attention to the situation as possible (e.g., talk loud or yell for help).
As always, if you have questions please lmk. Stay safe. J